Istanbul Toy Museum

istanbul toy museumStudies show that the histıry of toys has pioneered the history of science and art.We believe that dreams come first and then the reality follows their footprints.Toy museum appear in communities which attach importance to their futures and cultural development.

The Istanbul Toy Museum, housing 5000 vintage toys, presents its visitor the history of enlightenment and civilizations.The Museumfounded by Turkish poet and author Sunay Akın, has been opened on 23 April 2005.The extensive collection includes antique samples of traditional Turkish toys and also unique pieces that reflect the culture of various countries, namely USA, Germany, England, France, Japan and many more.Our exhşbşts span the period from the first tin toy manufacturer Ernst Lehmann to the Victorian period, from Penny Toys sold on the pavements for only 1 Penny to the first black Teddy Bears manufactured in 1912 to commemorate the Titanic victims.
Istanbul Toy Museum Soldiers
The Museum also includes a cosy cafe surrounded by toys and a movie theatre.The theatre with 70 seats in furnished with all the necessary technical amenties.Visitors are entertained by the Museum events which include, slide, shows, moviesi puppet theater and magic show performed by local artists.The workshop decorated wşth chocolates and candies like the Hansel and Gretel House, gives the children an opportunity to attend the activities in a dream world.
While entering the Museum your child will hold done of your hands and when you leaving, your childhood will be holding the other.
The museum is closed on Mondays.

source: istanbul toy museum


Top 10 places to go in Istanbul

1. Hagia Sophia Museum

Hagia Sophia in 1997
Popularly known as a strategic place where corresponds to the "East", the "West", known in Istanbul Turkey, is a historical and fascinating city that bridges the continents of Europe and Asia. Situated on the west side of the Bosphorus, which is responsible for joining the Black Sea and Marmara Sea, Istanbul a checkered history that is packed with tradition and ethnicity of the various conquerors.

The Hagia Sophia or Ayasofya, as is known in Turkish was actually a patriarchal basilica was, as an embodiment of the Byzantine architecture and also had the distinction of remaining the largest cathedral in the world to 1520th Built on the orders of the Byzantine Emperor Justinian, the interiors were decorated with mosaics of various rich artistic and religious scenes were supported by massive marble columns.

2. Blue Mosque

Blue Mosque Inside

Let us remember some important points about the Blue Mosque: the largest complex of Istanbul was in the heart of Istanbul, the Ottoman capital of the Mediterranean Sea was the world can be built in the south of the Hippodrome, expressed on the surface of five vizier palaces such as Evliya Celebi , on the orders of the 14th Ottoman Sultan Ahmed I, the throne went at the age of 14. The area of the Blue Mosque, equal to the area, was built where the Big Palace in the Byzantine period. It was for religious people to work behind a favor for the important left after her death. This was true for sultans and common people. Blue Mosque is one example of such work.

3. Maiden's Tower
Maiden's Tower in Night

There are many legends about the construction of the tower and its location. According to the most popular Turkish legend, a sultan had a much-loved daughter. One day prophesied by an oracle that by a poisonous snake on her 18th Birthday would be killed. The Sultan, in an attempt to his daughter's early death by thwarting off the land, so you keep away from any snakes, had built the tower in the middle of the Bosphorus, to his daughter until she was 18 Birthday protect. The princess was in the tower, where she was visited frequently placed by her father. On 18 Anniversary of the princess, the sultan brought her a basket with exotic fruits sumptouous as a birthday gift, delighted that he is able to prevent the prophecy. Upon reaching the place, however, an ASP shopping cart that had been hidden under the fruit-bit, the young princess, and she died in her father's arms, so as the oracle had predicted. Hence the name Maiden's Tower. The older name Leander's Tower comes from another story about a girl: the ancient Greek myth of Hero and Leander. Hero was a priestess of Aphrodite who lived in a tower at Sestos, on the edge of the Hellespont (Dardanelles). Leander (Leandros), a young man from Abydos on the other side of the strait, fell in love her and would swim every night across the Hellespont to be with her. Hero would lead to a light every night at the top of its tower, his way. To succumb to gentle words Leander and his argument that Aphrodite, the goddess of love, would scorn the worship of the Virgin Hero allowed him to make love to her. This routine lasted through the warm summer. But one stormy winter night, the waves tossed Leander in the sea and the breezes blew Hero's light, and Leander way got lost and drowned. Hero threw herself from the tower in grief and died. The name of Maiden's Tower might also its origins in this ancient history. Because of the proximity and similarity between the Dardanelles and the Bosphorus, Leander was attributed to history of the tower of the ancient Greeks and later the Byzantines.

4. Ortaköy Mosque (Buyuk Mecidiye Camii)

Ortaköy Mosque on the banks of Ortakoy pier square, one of the most beautiful places located on the Bosphorus. was created in 1854 by Sultan Abdülmecid the architect Nikogos Balyan, which in neo-Baroque style. The large, high windows let the ever-changing light reflections of the Bosphorus shine in the mosque.

5. Taksim Square - Istiklal Street

The most popular and busy square in Istanbul's Taksim Square. On Taksim Square, which is used for demonstrations for various purposes, the Atatürk Cultural construction of which commenced in 1950 and opened to the public in 1969. If you left the Atatürk monument is here, and that was going by the Italian sculptor Canonica in 1928 then in the Istiklal street sculptures. This street connects Taksim to Tunel (underground). During the Ottoman era foreign embassies were on that road. Even today there are several consulates in the street. There are shops, cafes, restaurants, bars, book shops in this street, which is rather crowded at any time of day. In addition, there is the historic tramway, between Taksim and Tunel. The historic building on the Istiklal Street are in the 19 Century was built. The road, which was named as Pera and Beyoğlu in the past, an important center of technology with the introduction of drawing studios during the late Ottoman period. The buildings in this street to attract attention with the reliefs on them and their architectural designs. There are two churches on the street that are still in use. St. Mary Draperis and the Italian Church of St. Antoine, which the Catholic Church most of Istanbul and coming again from 1906 to 1912. There are important places like Galatasaray High School, Galatasaray Bath, Çiçek Pasajı. Pera Palas, one of the oldest hotels in Istanbul is also located here.

6. Galata Tower

Galata Tower in Night

The Galata Tower (Galata Kulesi in Turkish) - called Christea Turris (Tower of Christ in Latin) by the Genoese - is a medieval stone tower in the Galata district of Istanbul, Turkey, just north of the Golden Horn. One of the city's most fascinating attractions, there is a high, cone-capped cylinder that dominates the skyline and offers a panoramic view of Old Istanbul and surrounding areas.

7. Topkapi Palace

8. Istanbul Archaeology Museum

Istanbul Archaeology Museum

The website of the museums were among the Topkapi Palace outer gardens. The museum was founded by decree as the Imperial Museum (İmparatorluk Müzesi) in 1891. It was the first museum of Turkish art [edit] function. The first curator and founder of the museum was Osman Hamdi Bey. As an imperial decree for the protection of cultural goods in the Ottoman Empire was enforced, many governors of the provinces would be found in artifacts to send the capital. In this way, the museum is able to amass a large collection was. After his 100th Birthday in 1991 the Museum received the European Council Museum Award, made especially for the renovations to the lower floor rooms in the main building and the new displays in the other buildings. The construction of the main building was started by Osman Hamdi Bey in 1881 and reached its present neo-Greek form in 1908. The architect was Alexander Vallaury. The facade of the building was inspired by the Alexander Sarcophagus and Sarcophagus of the Mourning Women, both housed inside the museum. It is one of the prominent structures in the neo-classical style built in Istanbul. The Museum of the Orient was given by Osman Hamdi Bey in 1883 as the School of Fine Arts in order. Then it was like a museum, which opened reorganized 1935th It was closed to visitors in 1963 and reopened in 1974 after the restoration of the interior. The tiled kiosk was built by Sultan Mehmed II in 1472, where in order. It is one of the oldest buildings in Istanbul, Ottoman civil architecture and became a part of the Topkapi Palace outer gardens. It was used as the Imperial Museum 1875-1891, before the collection moved into the newly constructed main building. It was opened to the public in 1953 as the Museum of Turkish and Islamic Art, and was later incorporated in the Istanbul Archaeological Museum.

9.Haydarpaşa Terminal

The Haydarpaşa terminal or station Haydarpaşa (Turkish: Haydarpasa Gari) is an important inter-city railway station and transport hub in Istanbul. It is the largest train terminal in Turkey and the Middle East and one of the busiest in Eastern Europe. The terminal also has links to bus and ferry service IETT. The tram is Moda a few blocks south of the station. The station has a main building (opened 1909) houses the headquarters of the 1st District Haydarpasa Terminal is the western terminus of the Istanbul-Ankara Main Line and the western terminus was the former Baghdad Railway (Istanbul-Konya-Adana-Aleppo-Baghdad) and the Hejaz railway (Istanbul-Konya-Adana-Aleppo-Damascus-Amman-Medina ). The tracks do not cross the Bosphorus, but there is a train ferry that carries rail vehicles from Haydarpasa on the Asian side, Sirkeci on the European side
The Topkapi Palace (Turkish: Topkapi Palace), or Ottoman Turkey: طوپقپو سرايى, usually spelled "Topkapi" in English) is a palace in Istanbul, Turkey, is the official and primary residence in the city of the Ottoman sultans for 400 years was its 624-year reign from 1465 to 1856th

10.Çırağan Palace Kempinski

Çırağan Palace Kempinski

Ciragan Palace (Turkish: Çırağan Sarayi), a former Ottoman palace is now a five star hotel of the Kempinski Hotels chain. It is on the European shore of the Bosporus between Beşiktaş and Ortaköy in Istanbul, Turkey.


Hagia Sophia Museum Location Adress

Hagia Sophia Museum

Sultanahmet 34400

Istanbul, Turkey

Phone: +90 212 5221750 - +90 212 5220989

Fax: +90 212 5125474 / Location

Hagia Sophia was a Church

The earliest church was in Istanbul during the reign of Emperor Constantine basilica built in the form, with a wooden roof. It was then the city's cathedral, and entitled Megala Ekklesia. Hagia Sophia - From the fifth century it was known as the Church of Divine Wisdom. The original church was burned, said during an uprising on 20 June, 404 was to have been, during the reign of Theodosius II rebuilt and again on 10 October, opens 415th The second church was destroyed by fire during the Nika revolt in 532 and was completely suppressed with the support of the Empress Theodora, wife of Justinian after the revolt was been restored.
The emperor commissioned the architect Anthemios of Tralles and Isidore of Miletus, to rebuild it, and according to the report of the Byzantine historian Procopius, the Emperor ordered the building of great stature and glory, using his imperial authority to ensure that nothing in the absence of building it. Eight columns of red porphyry were brought from the Temple of Diana at Ephesus. Other balls were obtained from classical sites and some of the finest marble quarries of the Byzantine world. Maurer one thousand and ten thousand apprentices worked in construction with a view to ending it as soon as possible. The work began in 532 AD, was completed in five years, 11 months and 10 days, and the church was on 27 December, dedicated to 537 of Emperor Justinian.

The large pillars in the underground tanks on the site were, to some extent a measure against earthquake damage, but not prevent this monumental building from suffering some damage from earthquakes in 533, 557 and 559th We learn that it was in 562 of the architect Isidore, the nephew of former architect with the same name, which restored the previously depressed dome raised by some 6.25 m Further support for the main pillar was provided by buttresses.
In the 9th Century, during the reign of Emperor Theophilos III Mikhael and the bronze doors were installed. In 869 and 889, the church was damaged by an earthquake and was at after extensive repair work 13 May, reopened 994th Mosaics were taken during the reign of Emperor Basil II.
During the invasion of the Latin in 1204, was the Hagia Sophia was attacked and robbed of its most beautiful ornaments, including doors, which were mistakenly believed to be of gold. The building was heavily damaged in the invasion. Four large buttresses were added to the building in 1317, but later found extensive damage in the earthquake of 1346, are once again restored in 1354 by architect G. Prella. Mehmet the Conqueror had the church restored again after the conquest of Istanbul, and converted it into a mosque. Among the many renovations and additions to this, the largest church in the Byzantine era, one of the biggest shock was the addition of walls on the north and south facades in 1317 by Andronikos II
The four minarets, one was on each corner of the building at various times during the Ottoman period, the southeastern minaret to the reign of Mehmed II, the northeast minaret of Bayezid II and the two minarets on the west facade of the period has Selim II. The last restoration, carried out during the Ottoman period, the southeast minaret to the reign of Mehmed II, the northeast minaret of Bayezid II and the two minarets at the western facade of the period of Selim II. The last restoration, is performed during the Ottoman period to the reign of Abdülmecid. The church was converted into a museum in the last Republican period, by order of Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, and back to 1 Opened in February 1935. The building covers an area of 100 x 70 m., and the plan consists of a wide central nave of two smaller ships, an apse, an inner and outer narthex and a central dome up to 55.6 m. flanked in height. performed by restoration at different times, this dome is not quite round, but has gradually elliptical.
Some of the more important mosaics are as follows: The input of the main entrance to the inner narthex, you can see on the portal, the figure of the Madonna holding the Infant Jesus of Constantine the Great, flanked on its right, presents a model of the city of Constantinople to her and on her left, presented the Emperor Justinian, a model of the church. This is from the last quarter of the 10th Century and the reign of Emperor Basil II. The vaulted portico of the inner narthex is decorated with gold mosaics of Justinian time. These are the original non-figurative mosaics of Hagia Sophia, the release of non-figurative nature, from damage during the period of iconoclasm. A mosaic depicting Christ on a semi-circular towers encrusted throne, holding a book that transcends the Emperor's Gate, on the southwest facade of the church. The medallion on the right side of this contains a bust of the Madonna, and on the left side, a bust of Gabriel.
The figure raises the BC is regarded as the Emperor Leo, and the mosaic is thought to the 10th -Century dome of the apse date contains a mosaic of the enthroned Madonna holding the infant Jesus, the 9th Century. It is believed to be the earliest figurative mosaics on the post-storm pictures in the church. On the right side of the drum is the white-robed figure of Gabriel, and on the left, now much damaged figure of the Archangel Michael. Portraits of saints, when the semicircular arched niche decorated below the northern gable, have survived only three of these. On the west wall, contained in the niches are portraits of the patriarchs of the Orthodox Church, Patriarch of Istanbul and St. Ignatius Ioannes Krysostomos in the first and central niche, and the figure of Saint Ignatius Theophoros, Patriarch of Antakya (Antioch) in the fifth slot. These figures are dressed in coats cruciform motifs contribute to the collar and skirt, and holding the Bible in their hands. The names of the characters are written next to them in Greek. These mosaics are from the end of the 9th Century to the early 10th Century. The four pedantries the dome are decorated with figures of cherubim and seraphim. Who are the originals on the east side of the church, while Fossati restored Western figures in fresco in 1847. Access to the galleries of the church remains on a paved ramp. The gallery with green columns used directly opposite the vestibule by the Empress and her followers during the ceremonies was established. Entering the southern gallery passes from here through a pseudo-marble wood door, now called the gate of heaven and hell.
Through this door one enters the room set aside for the meeting of the Consuls, with the Deisis mosaic-decorated one of the most famous mosaics in the world. It shows Christ flanked by the Virgin Mary and John the Baptist. This highly expressive mosaic dates from the 12th Century. to find in the gallery in the southeast of the church is the Comnenos mosaic in which the enthroned Madonna and Child enthroned on are also being accompanied by the Emperor Ioannes Comnenos II holds a bag of money and on the right side of the Empress Irene left a Hungarian princess .
A monogram she describes as the Mother of God, while the names of the other characters are written beside them in the Greek overcomes the figure of the Madonna. In one corner, you can also see the mosaic of the "sons of the emperor Inane (John) Comnenos II, and his co-ruler Alexius Comnenos. The latter is shown in a frontal pose, in elaborate dress and crown, and holds a scepter in his raised right hand. On the north wall of the Imperial Hall, who is in the southern gallery the Zoe mosaics are found.
The Empress is on the right side of the enthroned Christ with her third husband, the Emperor Constantine IX Monomachos to his left. The mosaic dates from the 11th Century AD The mosaic of Alexander can be seen at the southwestern end of the central hall on the north gallery.
Alexander, the third son of Basil I, the 912th for 13 months governed, is shown standing, facing forward, dressed in elaborate ceremonial robes and crown. In his left hand he holds a ball in his right hand and a bag. His name and titles are inscribed in two medallions on both sides of his head. Dating to the 10th Century AD, this mosaic in reasonably good condition. After having this extremely important mosaics, we will continue our tour through the St. Sophia Church, except the site where you can the monumental fountain of the Ottoman Sultan Mahmut I see built have been completed

Hagia Sophia's Architecture

Hagia Sophia Architecture
Justinian's Hagia Sophia is the one that stands today. It is an architectural intelligence and the first masterpiece of Byzantine architecture. It is the largest cathedral for 1,000 years, was built to the Cathedral of Seville.

The church has a rectangular shape, and the square large square nave measuring 31m (102ft) with a central dome, which is conducted at four gore covered. The arcade around the dome continues unabated with 40 arched windows to bring the light inside. Without the two narthex and the atrium, the basilica measures 70 x 75 ft (229 x 245). The atrium measures 48 x 32 m (157 x 106 ft) and the total length of section 135 m (ft 442).

The Narthex outside of the eastern part of the atrium is included, and the inner narthex is kicked by 5 door, and from this inner narthex, 9 goals are for the nave.

The access to the upper galleries are by ramps, the traditional function of Constantinople church planning are provided.

Hagia Sophia Interrior

hagia sophia in istanbul sultahmet
Hagia Sophia in Sultanahmet Istanbul

Hagia Sophia Museum History

The Church of Holy Wisdom, Hagia Sophia (Άγια Σοφία) in Greek, Sancta Sophia in Latin and Ayasofya Hagia Sophia, or called in Turkish, is a former Byzantine church and former Ottoman mosque in Istanbul. Now a museum, the Hagia Sophia in general as a major building in the world recognized.
History Unfortunately nothing remains of the original Hagia Sophia, which was on this site in the fourth century by Constantine the Great built. Constantine was the first Christian emperor and the founder of the city of Constantinople, which he called "the new Rome." The Hagia Sophia was one of several great churches he built in important cities of his empire.
After the destruction of the Church of Constantine, a second was built by his son Constantius and the emperor Theodosius the Great. This second church was burned during the Nika riots of 532, although fragments have been unearthed and can be visited today.

Mosaic portrait of Emperor Sophia was built by Justinian Ravenna.Hagia in its current form, 532-537 under the personal supervision of Emperor Justinian I re-
It is one of the greatest surviving examples of Byzantine architecture, richly decorated with mosaics and marble pillars and coverings. Upon completion, Justinian is said to have exclaimed Νενίκηκά σε Σολομών ("Solomon, I have surpassed thee!").
The architects of the church were Isidore of Miletus and Anthemius Tralles of the professors of geometry at the University of Constantinople. Their work was a technical triumph, though the structure was severely damaged several times by earthquakes. The original dome collapsed after an earthquake in 558 and its replacement fell in 563rd Measures have been taken to ensure better protection of the dome, but there were additional partial collapses in 989 and 1346th
Justinian's basilica was both the culmination of architectural achievement of late antiquity and the first masterpiece of Byzantine architecture. His influence, both architecturally and liturgically, was widespread and persistent in both the Eastern Orthodox, Roman Catholic and Muslim world.
For over 900 years the Hagia Sophia was the seat of the Orthodox Patriarch of Constantinople and the main setting for church councils and imperial ceremonies.
In 1204 the Cathedral was ruthlessly attacked, raped, and by the Crusaders, who also ousted the Patriarch of Constantinople sacked and replaced it with a Latin bishop. This event cemented the division of the Greek Orthodox and Roman Catholic churches, which had begun with the Great Schism of 1054. It also means that most of the Hagia Sophia in Istanbul riches can not today but in the treasury of the Basilica of St. Mark's in Venice.
Despite this serious setback, Hagia Sophia remained a functioning church, to 29 May 1453, when Sultan Mehmet the Conqueror triumphantly entered the city of Constantinople. He was amazed at the beauty of the Hagia Sophia and immediately converted it into his imperial mosque.
Hagia Sophia served as the main mosque of Istanbul for almost 500 years. It was a model for many of the Ottoman mosques of Istanbul, such as the Blue Mosque, the Suleiman Mosque, the Mosque and the Rustem Pasha Mosque Shehzad.
No major structural changes were made in the first, made the addition of a mihrab (prayer niche), minibar (pulpit) and a wooden minaret of a mosque from the church. shown at some early point, all the faces in the church mosaics in plaster by the Islamic prohibition of figurative imagery covered. Several additions have been made over the centuries by successive sultans.
Sultan Mehmed II established a madrasa (religious school) near the mosque and organized a waqf for his expenses. Extensive renovations were carried out by Mimar Sinan during the reign of Selim II, Sultan Minaret including the original box and others. Mimar Sinan built the mausoleum of Selim II to the southeast of the mosque in 1577 and the mausoleums of Murad III and Mehmed III were built next to him in the 1600s. Mahmud I ordered a restoration of the mosque in 1739 and has an ablution fountain, madrasa, soup kitchen and library, so that the mosque in the center of a social complex.
The most famous restoration of the Hagia Sophia was invited between 1847-1849 by Abdülmecid II, the Swiss architects Gaspare and Giuseppe Fossati to renovate the mosque completed. The brothers consolidated the dome and vaults, straightened the columns, and revised the decoration of the exterior and interior.
The discovery of the figural mosaics after the Hagia Sophia was the secularization of the descriptions of the Fossati brothers, who had found out a century ago for cleaning and recording. The Fossati said the calligraphic roundels that remain today. They were given calligrapher Izzet Efendi Kazasker in order and replace older plates hanging on the pillars.
In 1934, Turkish President Kemal Ataturk, was the Hagia Sofia secularized and turned into the Ayasofya Museum. The prayer rugs were removed, revealing the marble below, but the mosaics and the building was rendered largely allowed to decay for some time. Some of the calligraphic panels were moved to other mosques, but eight roundels were left, and can be visited today.
A 1993 UNESCO mission in Turkey noted falling plaster, dirty marble facings, broken windows damaged, decorative paintings by damp and ill-maintained lead roofing. Cleaning, roofing and restoration work has been undertaken since then, many visitors have recently stepped up its view of a huge mill stretch to clogged found in the dome in the middle of the nave.
What to see For a visual description, see our interactive floor plan Hagia Sophia Hagia Sophia or use our photo gallery. Click bottom left of the text for photos.
The Hagia Sophia is a classical basilica plan. The main plan of the building is a rectangle, 230 feet (70 meters) in width and 246 feet (75 meters) in length. The area is managed by a central dome (see the outside and inside) with a diameter of 102 feet (31 meters), which is only slightly smaller than that of the Pantheon in Rome.
The main dome is carried on gusset, four concave triangular sections of masonry which solve the problem of setting the circular base of a dome on a rectangular base. Each Pendentif is decorated with a Seraphim. The weight of the dome through the wedge floating on four massive piers at the corners, and between them the dome seems to be four large arches.
At the western and eastern ends of the arched openings are extended by half domes. The flat wall on each side of the interior (north and south) is called a tympanum, and each has 12 large windows in two rows, seven in the lower and five in the top.
Just outside the entrance, stone cannon balls line the gravel path of the outer courtyard. These are the actual cannon balls used by Mehmet the Conqueror in his victorious 1453 battle for the city.
All interior surfaces are covered with colored marble, green and white covered with purple porphyry and gold mosaics. On the exterior, simple stuccoed walls reveal the clarity of massed vaults and domes.
The Islamic calligraphy roundels of the main dome since 19 Century exposed remain in force and provide a fascinating contrast to the religious uncovered Christian mosaics. The names of the eight wooden medallions are painted: Allah and Muhammad (flanking the apse), the first four caliphs Abu Bakr, Umar, Uthman and Ali (at the four corners of the dome) and the two grandsons of Mohammed, Hasan and Husayn (in long house).
The Byzantine mosaics are revealed gradually, but only those on the higher levels of gallery, which can be accessed by stairs to the payment of a fee. This means that Muslims not to much Christian imagery in the main chamber of the building was a mosque for nearly 500 years and remains all the equipment to confront a mosque.
When the Hagia Sophia was used as a place of worship for both Christians and Muslims to be the focus of the building was at the eastern end, opposite the entrance. This is because Christian churches have traditionally focused on the east, and Muslims always pray facing Mecca, which is southeast of Istanbul (the "east" end of the Hagia Sophia really faces southeast). Thus, the majority of sites are clustered in this area of great interior of Hagia Sophia's.
On the ground, most sites are from the Islamic period. A beautiful marble structure in the apse is the mihrab, a niche found in all mosques indicating the direction to Mecca. The large free-standing staircase on the right side of the mihrab is the mini-bar, or pulpit, commissioned by the sermons. On the left side of the mihrab is the great Sultan's Lodge in the Fossati brothers, who restored Hagia Sophia in the 1800s.
Find out this field, we see a beautiful apse mosaic of the Virgin and Child. On the right is a part Archangel Gabriel damaged mosaic. Gabriel used to create a mosaic of the Archangel Michael on the other side of the apse of the face, but that is now almost completely disappeared.
The most famous of the Hagia Sophia's mosaics are on the top floor, in the galleries. The South Gallery, where the great mosaics, was used for church councils. When the Hagia Sophia a mosque was, were the galleries of the city, where women during religious services SA today, the galleries, visitors make a spectacular view of the nave from all sides and in close-up of some of the finest Byzantine mosaics to be seen everywhere.
The best known is called the mosaic Deesis Mosaic, and it is the first you come from, how in the south through the gallery door Marble in force. It shows a triumphant Christ and royal flanked (known as "Christ Pantrocrator"), of the Virgin Mary and John the Baptist.
At the end of the south gallery are two golden Byzantine mosaics. On the left side of Christ with Constantine IX and Empress Zoe Monomachus right is the Virgin and Child with Emperor John II Comnenus and Empress Irene.
Modern exit from the Hagia Sophia is the lobby of the Warriors, so called because it is where the emperor's bodyguards while he was praying waited. Up high and behind you as you walk out is a beautiful mosaic of the Virgin with Constantine and Justinian: Constantine the Great gifts to the Virgin a model of the city of Constantinople (Istanbul), which he founded and presented the Emperor Justinian, the Church of Hagia Sophia , which he rebuilt. This mosaic probably dates from the 10th Century.
There are several interesting things to see, outside of Hagia Sophia, including three mausoleums of the Sultans, the church baptistery, and the remains of Theodosius' Hagia Sophia excavated